Welcome to the Cycle Hamilton news & updates page. Check here regularly for updates regarding cycling events, infrastructure, and news! Be sure to check out our Instagram and Twitter accounts for daily updates.
Status: Full-time – Contract
Start Date: As soon as possible
Apply by: June 3rd, 2019 at 5:00 pm EST Rate of Pay: $23/hour
Cycle Hamilton is excited to announce we are accepting applications for the position of Project Manager!
Friendly Streets Hamilton is an initiative of Cycle Hamilton and Environment Hamilton that launched in 2017 and works to develop vibrant neighbourhood streets that are more friendly for walking and biking.
We engage residents of all backgrounds, abilities and age groups in assessing current challenges and barriers to active transportation and re-imagining neighbourhood streets as places that are enjoyable for walking and biking. The project aligns outcomes and recommendations with municipal transportation planning processes in order to influence the design of neighbourhood streets to best serve community members. Outcomes include specific community-derived recommendations to bring to the attention of the City of Hamilton. The Project Manager will report to the co-Chairs of Cycle Hamilton, as well as to the Executive Director of Environment Hamilton.
– Work in close collaboration with an Environment Hamilton staff member to implement the project in various neighbourhoods and produce a summary report of findings and recommendations
– Develop and maintain relationships with community members and key stakeholders, such as Neighbourhood Associations, City of Hamilton staff, Hamilton Health Sciences staff, Ward Councilors, Non-profit Organizations, BIA’s, businesses and residents
– Assist in the implementation of street-level surveys, interviews, traffic counts, air quality audits and other means of data collection
– Attend community events such as festivals and neighbourhood association meetings to connect with residents and engage them in conversations about safe streets
-Host regular “Friendly Streets Working group” meetings in each neighbourhood
– Promote social justice by supporting residents’ access to safe and affordable forms of transportation
– Maintain an active social media presence to both disseminate information and awareness of project and invite users to participate online
– Utilize creative engagement strategies to connect with varying stakeholders within the target area
– Maintain organized documentation of engagement throughout the project
– Write content for the website/blog
– Conduct research on community building and active transportation best practices to regularly update the Friendly Streets Toolkit
– Assist with the evaluation of the implementation of infrastructure changes in the project area – Promote a culture of inclusivity and positivity while supporting the establishment of safe, vibrant and active streets
Skills and Qualifications:
To Apply:Please forward your resume and cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com by 5pm Monday, June 3rd
Bike Month 2019 kicks off on Monday, May 27 and continues until the end of June with hundreds of ways to celebrate, including rides, guided bike tours, festivals, art shows, and film screenings. This is a family friendly, all-ages event! Meet people in your community, listen to some local live music, and enjoy a donut… Continue Reading
In advance of our 2019 Annual General Meeting on April 25, we are sharing minutes from our 2018 AGM. Click the link below to access the PDF. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions! Cycle Hamilton AGM Minutes FINAL Continue Reading
Cycle Hamilton has prepared a response letter with regards to the planned closure of the Cannon Cycle Track during a construction period this summer. This letter was directly to Councillors Farr and Nann. This letter has been pasted below. Dear Councillor Farr and Councillor Nann, I am writing to you on behalf of Cycle… Continue Reading
Cycle Hamilton has prepared a response letter with regards to the recent motion: Hybrid Solution to On-street Parking on Bay Street North Between Barton Street West and Stuart Street. This letter was distributed to Mayor Fred Eisenberger, City Councillors, and City staff. We are concerned that this motion will pose significant risk to the safety… Continue Reading
Join Cycle Hamilton on Thursday, April 25th at 6:00pm at MERIT Brewing for our 2019 Annual General Meeting… our most important event of the year! This is an opportunity for everyone in the Hamilton community to meet members of the Cycle Hamilton team and learn about the advocacy work we are doing! We will… Continue Reading
Join us for our monthly meeting on Monday, March 25th! This month we will be meeting at Dundurn Market. The meeting is open to everyone, including children! See full event details here: https://www.facebook.com/events/355890491675632/ See you on Monday! Continue Reading
FYI – Our January monthly meeting has been cancelled due to weather forecasts 🌨 Please pass along this information to anyone you know that may have been planning to attend. Stay warm, #HamOnt! ❄️🚲 Continue Reading
Adam Carter of CBC Hamilton has recently published an article discussing the City’s 2019 budget for cycling infrastructure. Cycle Hamilton member Elise Desjardins is also featured in the article. Click here to read the full article on CBC Hamilton‘s website: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/cycling-report-1.4986014 Continue Reading